The Five Points South Business District is located within the Five Points South neighborhood near downtown Birmingham, Alabama. There are 2,292 jobs within the district and a workforce population of 148,732 residing within three miles from the center of the Five Points Business District. Over 21,220 residents live within the 35205 zip code where Five Points South is located.
In fact, the state’s largest employer, the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is located within the Five Points South neighborhood. UAB has a student enrollment of 21,923, and currently has 21,904 employees, along with 300 Southern Research Institute employees according to a 2018 UAB report.
Five Points South has been home to UAB since 1969. The campus includes laboratories, research facilities, the university and one of the city’s largest hospitals. The following information is from UAB’s annual report;
- UAB generates $7.15 billion in economic impact annually and supports 64,292 jobs within the state of Alabama.
- One in every 31 jobs within the state of Alabama either is held directly by a UAB employee or is supported as a result of UAB’s presence.
- State and local government revenue attributable to the presence of UAB totaled $268.6 million in fiscal year 2016.
- For every $1 in state funding received by the institution, UAB generates $25 in economic impact that is returned back to the state.
- UAB faculty, staff and students generate more than $80.5 million in community impact through donations and volunteer time to local nonprofits. In addition, the UAB Health System supports more than $144 million in charity care to underserved populations in Birmingham and across the state.
Law firms, accounting firms and other businesses and retailers are located in the Business District. Five Points also boasts a diverse and growing mix of culinary-based businesses. Since January 2017, more than $48.8 million in public and private funding has been invested which has brought 209 new jobs to the Five Points South Business District.
Notably, the area is also home to some of the country’s top culinary destinations – from James Beard Award winning and/or nominated restaurants to some of America’s top beer bars including Highlands Bar & Grill, Hot & Hot Fish Club, Galley & Garden, Jim N Nick’s BBQ, Ocean and The J Clyde.